Button photo DTC.png  photo DT.png Button Button Button Button Button
Button

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Tips & Techniques Thursday: Distress Stains & Stickles


Hey Stickle-lovers! Today we are SUPER excited to feature an amazing blogger and crafter, DoBea from Plum Poppy Studio. She has an AWESOME tutorial using Rock Candy Distress Stickles with you today! Hope you enjoy as much we we did. :)

First off, I am so excited to be Guest Designing for the All that Stickles blog today! I feel honored that these sweet ladies contacted me about the following tutorial, especially since I think it is such a fun one.

In order to get ready for this technique, I started off gathering all of the supplies that I was going to need for this project:

Ornaments stamp set {I like to used open stamps without much detail.}
Watercolor paper
Distress Stains {Weathered Wood, Stormy Sky, Faded Jeans}
Broad Nib Water Brush
Fine Detail Nib Water Brush
Archival Ink {Will not bleed when used with water}
Rock Candy Distress Stickles
Ink Palette

IMG_9429

I then went on to get my ink palette ready to work with:

IMG_9433

I try not to have too much water on my water brushes, as it can get soupy real fast:

IMG_9435

The first color I used was Weathered Wood. I used the wider flat water brush and dipped it into the palette where I hold small amounts of my Distress Stains. I then filled the body of the long ornament in completely.

IMG_9437

Next, I then used the same brush dipped in Stormy Sky and filled in slightly more than half of the ornament:

IMG_9443

And then with Faded Jeans, I filled in about one third of the ornament.

IMG_9447

Next, I used the smaller tipped water brush with a very small amount of Black Soot to give it a grey top and bottom of the ornament.

IMG_9448

Here is a look at the filled in ornament before the Stickles:

IMG_9454

After the paper was dry {helped along with the Heat It tool}, I squeezed out a bit of Rock Candy Distress Stickles onto the darker part of the ornament:

IMG_9455

And then spread it around with my finger a bit:

IMG_9457
Once the Rock Candy was dry, I cut out the ornament and attached it to my card.
And viola!! A watercolored look to a Christmas card!

IMG_9474

Here is a closer look at the Rock Candy:

IMG_9475

And a couple more cards using this technique:

IMG_9480

IMG_9485

Thanks so much for letting me share this fun technique with you!

3 comments: